Monday 3 February 2014

Looking At the Entire Cholesterol Effect

The last soup recipe I wrote was 2010. Well, I do enjoy making a good soup and I made one recently I think I should share. The response from friends and family was positive including a young baby name Bea. So it passed the test.

I recently had an appointment with a dietician. It was truly an eye opening and gut wrenching experience. I learned much about of my eating habits and what type of eater I am. Turns out I do something that apparently some people do as well; I eat when I'm upset. Especially chocolate. I know right?!  Apparently my serotonin levels have been a little lower than I care to admit. Thankfully I am not a pastry Chef or a chocolatier. That would be a bad recipe. 

I have been given a request for a rice pudding recipe which will come soon. However, I get many requests for root vegetable recipes in the winter time and so I am all too happy to oblige with.

I have to share a part of my conversation with the dietician. She told me that I was the first Chef she had ever consulted with. She was intrigued by this and asked me why this is. My theory is that Chef's have a very know-it-all attitude when it comes to food and cooking. Some of us want feedback and comments, but we generally don't want criticism when it comes to what we choose to feed people or ourselves. "I'm feeding you medium rare Prime Rib" I would say,  "with fluffy mashed potatoes, crispy Yorkshire Puddings and lightly steamed broccoli tossed in garlic butter. Trust me, you will like eating it as much as I do." Sure you can comment on presentation, portion size, texture and, for some Chefs,  even the doneness of the roast and I usually listen with genuine interest. But, at the end of the day I decide what people eat because I am the Chef. That is a very typical mentality of a Chef. Until they discover they are travelling a path that will lead to high cholesterol and a stoke at an early age. Well, I once said that I offer two choices for dinner: eat what I make, or don't. I still offer those two choices for dinner, but from now on I will offer healthy choices. 

The pressure is on for my heart.  

Curried Sweet Potato Soup and Squash Soup with Red Curry 

Bit of Butter
1 Tbs. of Canola Oil
2 Red Onions, diced
1 Lemongrass, smashed
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced 
1 garlic clove, minced 
1 Small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed 
1.5 l chicken (or vegetetarian) broth
1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste 
1 tsp.red curry paste
1 Can of  coconut milk 
2 tsp. fresh lime juice 

150 g Almonds, whole (if you don't have a scale, use about 1 cup)
8 Asian Pears, cored and peeled
1 Tbs Sesame Oil
1 Tbs Canola Oil
1 Tsp Ginger, minced
250 ml, white wine
Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Toss squash and potatoes in oil and lay on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove and hold.

To core the pears, use an apple corer down the centre and remove core and discard. Cut 1/4 inch off the top and bottom of the pear. In a food processor (blender works but not as well), combine almonds, oils, ginger and salt. Chop mixture until slightly chunky. 

In a glass casserole dish, place pears top of pears facing up. Stuff each pear with the almond mixture. Pour wine into the dish and cover with foil or parchment. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender. Set aside and keep warm.

In a large pot over high heat, warm the butter. Add the onions and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the ginger, lemongrass and garlic and cook about 1 minute more. Add the squash, broth and the 1/2 tsp. salt, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. 

Put the curry paste in a small bowl and stir in the coconut milk until well blended. Remove lemongrass and discard.

In a blender or food processor, puree the soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the coconut milk mixture. Heat the soup until just hot, then stir in the lime juice and adjust the seasoning with salt. Place pear in the centre of the bowl and ladle the soup into warm bowls and serve immediately. 
Serve with grilled pita points.
Serves 8. 
A Humble Chef's tip: when reheating soups back to a boil, constantly stir to prevent burning or use a double boiler. 


No comments: