Tuesday 25 August 2009

Binary Chocolate Operation

Well, I won't lie to you: when I was in grade school, we had a Home Economics class as well as shop, music and et al. In Home Ec., we did some sewing and stitching (both of which I was absolutely terrible at) and we also had a dab at baking. Though I didn't really notice it at the time, my baking was really quite good. Somehow, even at a tender age, I had a knack for making little treats like cookies and biscuits and the teacher would even point it out to me. If my mother and I were fortunate to land a spot on Fergie Oliver's Just Like Mom, my mother would have no trouble eating whatever I would have made. I suppose it came naturally to me the same way a naturally gifted child doctor can convince another kid to play doctor with them. Although, I didn't really develop an interest in any form of cooking or baking until much later. Well, I have officially lost credibilty in being humble . . . .

Before I get into the recipe, a quick story: early in my relationship with my girlfriend (now my wife), I stayed an afternoon at her house while she went to work. While she was there I thought I could do some baking to pass the time and to impress the family. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies using the recipe from the package. They turned out all right but the family seemed to be impressed by how quickly I made them and how well they turned out. The recipe was so easy but that didn't seem to matter. Point is, if you need to kiss up to somebody, bake them cookies and you'll win them over.

I have seen huge cookbooks dedicated to cookies. The possibilities are endless. If you have a base to go with, then go for it. Add whatever you want. I just made these with my kids from a kids cookbook but made a change or two to make it our own and to avoid plagiarism.

Double Chocolate Cookied Biscuits

8 Chocolate Cubes, about 225 g
200 ml Unsalted Butter
Two Heaping Spoonfuls of Smooth Peanut Butter
20 g Salt, about a 1/4 teaspoon
20 g Baking Powder, 1/4 tsp.
250 Sugar, about 1 Cup
125 g Flour, about 1/3 Cup
2 Eggs
125 g Chocolate Chips

In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter. Remove and add peanut butter and stir until blended.

Preheat oven to 325.

In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and sugar and mix. Add chocolate and mix. Add flour in three stages and fold until well blended.

Let stand (or if you feel like sitting) for 30 minutes. Then spoon small amounts on baking sheet and bake for 13 - 15 minutes.

Cool on racks.

Makes 30 small cookies or 20 medium cookies or 10 large cookies or 1 massive cookie, your choice

A Humble Chef's tip: try not to taste this one as you go, it's very addictive.

Variation: I actually haven't tried this yet, but next time I do I'm adding some chili powder. That's the fad these days, Spicy Chocolate.

No comments: